Thursday 22 February 2018

Final Days Of Preparation

The countdown begins in the last 3 months. I was prepared for it. I deleted my facebook, whatsapp, clashofclans and all other such addictions. Trust me initially i felt like "what the hell i just did? i should revert back." But still i put all my will power into action and controlled myself. In few days i got used to it. Now i had more time, in boring time also i was thinking about a question or reading some interesting stuffs. These things matter a lot while your preparation.

I remember i started writing my full length on December 23rd, i just got 49.99 marks. It was test books demo full length test. I was happy indeed. Because i was sure that these mistakes are never gonna happen again. Slowly and steadily i started writing test series each single day without wasting time and analyzing my mistakes. Consistency matters !!! Gate exam will certainly test it, so be prepared. In the end i was calculating i had given around 41 full length tests including 3 CBT's. I had completed part test of rbr test series and testbooks test series but didn't get enough time to give subject wise test series. i had given full length of all institutes probably (madeeasy,ace,testbook,rbrtestseries,gateforum,virtualgate). I have learnt from each of the test series. As a student you should not compare between test series. Every test series has some really good questions and plenty of wrong questions. As a wiser person you just need to extract the cream and thrash the leftovers. I was getting around 60-70 on average, In few test series i got above 80. Test series matter a lot. It improves your time management skills and accuracy. DON'T EXPECT ANY QUESTION WILL BE REPEATING IN GATE. I would also advise not to give any test series just on the last day before exams.

On the last day i just revised few quick notes that i had prepared from my mistakes in test series and few concepts that required to be memorized like Frame formats in Computer networks etc...The in the evening i watched the movie MSD The Biopic. I had my dinner at 8pm and tried to sleep by 9. But due to excess anxiety i couldn't sleep till 2am. i woke up at 6am at morning the next day. It was bit cold so i decided not to take a bath. Because it might lead me into a running nose. Then after finishing other routine works, i left for the examination center with my elder brother. I was in full confidence. No doubt on myself. We reached there 45 mins ahead of time. Lot of my college mates were there but i decided not to talk with them. DON'T INDULGE IN ANY KIND OF TALKS WITH ANYONE JUST 1 HOUR BEFORE THE EXAMS !!!... Then finally i went inside at 8:40am (20mins before the start of exam). Immediately i checked my mouse,monitors, asked the invigilator if there was provision for extra rough sheets, went to the toilet, finally relaxed myself doing breathing exercises in the last few minutes. I had my strategy prepared (1mark technical,2mark technical then aptitude). DON'T CHANGE YOUR STRATEGY IN THE MIDDLE OF THE EXAM HOWEVER DIFFICULT THE SECTION MIGHT BE.

Few Important Tips:
  1. Always carry a half used blue and red pen. Don't carry a new pen.
  2. Looking at the rough sheet, figure out how effectively you are going to use it.
  3. Fight till the last second of the exam, don't give up midway.
  4.  Don't get carried away by glamors sitting right beside you.
  5.  Finish it up in style...Just like MSD does....!!!
"Gate will test your intellectual skills, consistency, patience, ability to tackle pressure situations, time management, adaptation skills, speed and accuracy !!! Be prepared well in advance."

16 comments:

  1. what was your 3hrs strategy, can you please elaborate? did you recheck all you answered? how much you answered? how much time did you put for rechecking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This time paper was lengthy. So there was no time for revision. I answered 57 questions. I solved 3-4 other questions but didn't mark because of fear of negative. else would have got rank within 50.

      Delete
    2. I answered 52 questions but got soo many wrong. I wonder was it because I didn't recheck or just unlucky?

      Delete
    3. Lack of confidence and practice...

      Delete
    4. Lack of confidence and practice...

      Delete
  2. 1:could you tell me daily how many hours you study by managing your 4th year scedule?
    2: IS REFERENCE BOOKS necessary to achieve 70+ in GATE exluding class notes and class study material?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As i said i had to bunk a lot of classes. Luckily i didn't have any labs in my 7th semester. I just read 1 day before my semester exams. I score 8.96 out of 10. So to achieve something you need to do something that you have never done before. The best way to do this is prioritizing things.

      Delete
  3. How did you manage your gate schedule along with 4th year???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simple !!!By bunking classes. If your university is too strict about attendance then it would be problematic a bit. I had done my major project in my 3rd year. You can manage it any way. After studying for gate semester exams turned out to be easy for me. Just mug up everything one night before the exams and vomit the next day in paper. You have to manage your time. 4-5 hours daily minimum is required. Else getting a good rank with such high competition. People with 7 years experience are also writing the gate exams. So you need to sharpen your skills before you can compete with them.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations bro. Really inspiring one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did you prepared for gate...self study or online lectures ??
    Can you suggest some resources

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://iamruturaj.blogspot.in/search/label/Gate%20Cs%202018

      I am written down everything..Do give it a read

      Delete
  6. Congratulations and i have learnt several things from your blog so thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this post, For Exam Preparation Join GATE Online Classes, Online Test Series, Books and Study Materials.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Thanks for sharing. Very informative post, that I have ever read, the strategy given is really very helpful....Here I’m giving best GATE ONLINE TRAINING details, once go through it.
    GATE ONLINE TRAINING

    ReplyDelete